Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Camp 2010 - 'The Fairest of Them All'

The middle of July heralded that grand time in my church world: Girls Camp.

For those of you who may not live in a Mormon-crazed world - let me explain: Every summer we try to get our young women [ages 12 -18] out of the hot, hot desert and into the mountains for a week to try to reconnect -- without their cell phones, iPods or Facebook. It's a chore trying to convince them they can live a week without a hair straightner...but we seem to survive with braids and without boys.

This year's theme was 'The Fairest of Them All' - aka - 'Break out the tiaras - It's Princess Time'. I, along with my favorite 4 other women, spent the week in tents with 15 of our lovely ladies. We built fires, had awesome breakfasts [Thanks Jaime & Jill], ate junk food to our heart's content & played 'Wiggle Lo' more times than I can count.

We took a hike, enjoyed nature & had some awesome spiritual moments.

I even celebrated a BIG birthday while at camp. My friend Jill made sure everyone knew - She ordered a shirt for me that said 'Today is My Birthday' & ordered me to wear it all day. I also got a great princess cake that said 'Happy Birthday Princess Dana'. I'm sure the bakery that made it for me thought it was for a 3-year old's birthday - just add a few more years to that to get it to the real Princess Dana. It was delicious!

Even with the smell of smoke that takes weeks to air out, the loads of laundry and cold, sleepless nights -- I look forward to this event EVERY year. I'm extremely blessed to work with, cry with & have fun with these ladies.


No comments: