Wednesday, May 13, 2009

David Foster Concert

Has anyone caught the David Foster & Friends special that has been showing on PBS? I saw it a few months back and became a bit obsessed. I DVR'd it and watched it a few times a week. Chad thought he might have to hold an intervention. I love David Foster's music.

If you are unfamiliar with David Foster -- he is a phenomenal music producer that has written & produced for artists such as Chicago, Andrea Bocelli, Celine Dion, Josh Groban, Michael Buble....you name it this man has touched it and turned it to gold!


A few months back I saw the concert was coming back to Las Vegas. I casually asked my Mom to check out ticket prices and tickets mysteriously showed up in my e-mail in-box the next day. I love my Mom!


Chad & I went to the concert this weekend and it was AMAZING! Some of David Foster's friends this night included - Brian McKnight [who brought out his 2 teenage boys and they all sounded fabulous together!], the lead singer of Earth, Wind & Fire and David's latest protege - Charice. This is the phenomal teen that landed on Oprah a few years back that sings to a Celine Dion / Whitney Houston level. Funny enough -- She is from the Phillipines and about 75% of the audience at the concert was Fillipino. We were afraid of getting trampled when they brought this pint-sized boombox out because her fans are very loyal!


There were several other 'friends' that just happened to drop by to sing a song or two after their own Las Vegas shows were over -- Paul Anka showed up with new lyrics to 'My Way' that outright made fun of David Foster. As Paul Anka started to sing his famous 'Puppy Love', Donny Osmond appeared at the back of the stage and the two sang it together, harassing each other the whole time! Just as Charice was about to come out -- Cher, who just finished with her show at Caesar's Palace shows up on-stage in her famous 'If I Could Turn Back Time' outfit.


A few other of David's new 'finds' were there as well -- a quartet of Canadian singers that NAILED an Andrea Bochelli song, one of David's back-up singers, who cuts all his demos, & a new up & coming lad who sang a beautiful version of the Andrea Bochelli/Celine Dion version of 'The Prayer'.


Another highlight was a great duet of the Nat King Cole/Natalie Cole 'Unforgettable' by a former star of Broadway version of 'The Lion King' & Brian McKnight. If you closed your eyes -- you would not have know that Brian McKnight was NOT Nat King Cole.


By far one of the best concerts I have been to lately!

No comments: